Thursday, April 23, 2009

Do You Chew?

You may have heard that gum chewing is the new coffee. That is to say that chewing a piece of gum supposedly makes you more alert. At least that's what the scientists at the Wrigley Science Institute would like you to believe.

Yesterday I performed my own little experiment. I was out of coffee and had no time to stop for a Starbucks but I did have a pack of gum. I crammed a couple pieces in my mouth to help boost my energy during my late afternoon case of the doldrums. My own experiment proved that, yes, chewing/smacking/snapping gum helped keep me alert but only for the time I spent chewing it. After fifteen minutes I was bored of the gum and the minute it was gone I felt tired again.

Conclusion: Two pieces of Extra Gum did not boost my energy as much as my usual triple-tall-no-fat latte.

Are you a chewer? If you are, do you find it gives you a boost?

5 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

I don't enjoy chewing gum. It makes my jaws tired. *g*

Dru said...

I normally don't chew gum because I somehow bite my jaw.

When I do chew or snap gum, it keeps me alert because of all that popping.

Wendy Roberts said...

Tori, it's like when you've been out with a good friend having a good time and your mouth aches from all the smiling ... except you don't get that kind of fun with gum lol!

Dru, I once bit my tongue almost clean through and man-oh-man I feel your pain!

Your number one sis; said...

I chew gum at my work when I am feeling stressed. Ancient Egyptians chewed mint leaves as it helps to awaken the mind. I worked with a math teacher who regularly gave his students mints to suck on to make them more alert.

B.E. Sanderson said...

Out of coffee?? :shudder:

I chew gum every once in a while, but I do it for breath freshening purposes. I never noticed if it makes me more alert. Even if it did, though, gum could never take the place of coffee for me.