Thursday, October 30, 2008

Walmart Encounters

It's been a long time since I shopped at Walmart. Last night my daughter was mall shopping with friends putting together her Halloween costume so I killed time walking around the big box store and mostly people watching.

I swear if I'm ever at a loss for characters to put in my books I'm heading for Walmart. I don't know if it's our particular store, the fact that it's near Halloween, or that it was late evening but I saw some weird, odd and strange things. Here are just a few:

- A forty-something man was frantically running around carrying a birthday cake. I saw him 3 times in the hour I was there and each time he was bolting around like he was terribly late clutching a large white birthday cake with blue flowers. Weird.

- There were a family of mullets. What I assumed was the mom, dad and son all had mullet hair styles. Last time I saw this many mullets I was in Dallas and it was the mid-1990's. And, no, this didn't appear to be a Halloween idea gone horribly wrong they were just walking around filling their shopping cart with Doritos. Odd.

- There was a skinny, skanky looking woman in her early twenties who had a large white rat in her front pocket. Strange.

I could seriously write any one of these people as a character in a book.

I did end up making a purchase at Walmart. I bought Jodi Picoult's book Keeping Faith. Has anybody read this one yet?

What is your favorite place to people watch?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before I read about the people you saw I was going to say people there are weird in general, but now i'm not so sure. LOL!

I don't think I've seen anybody there quite that strange. Then again, it's been awhile since I've been to Wallyworld.

Anonymous said...

LOVE! the woman with the rat in her pocket. Seriously, you can hardly make that up.

The mom (middle generation, not the grandma) in Keeping Faith annoyed me so much I could not read much past the first couple chapters, but I like Picoult in general, so hopefully you fare better with Keeping Faith than I did!