Friday, October 05, 2007

Dreams

Last night before I went to sleep I was debating the death of a character. I wasn't wondering whether or not to kill him off in a bloody manner but whether to eliminate him totally from the book. He's a secondary character, of course, but he had his strengths. Or maybe I was just making excuses because I was a little in love with his actions and simple walk-on lines.

When I went to sleep I dreamt about this character. I don't often remember my dreams but this one was clear. Well, as clear as a dream could be with a secondary character mixed with a jumble of other dreams including one involving a hippo in my garden ... Anyway, I woke up with the clear realization I had to cut this character loose. He might find his way back in another book but in the cut and slash that are revisisions for Book Two, he has to be bid adieu.

Do you ever solve problems in your dreams?

By the way, thanks to all those who signed up in the last couple days! Yes, you can still enter to win an Advance Copy of Remains by signing up for my mailing list here.

2 comments:

B.E. Sanderson said...

There must've been something in the air last night. I had a bunch of weird dreams myself. I've never had one that solved my problems, though. Unless you count that sometimes having dreams will alert me to the fact I have something in my life I need to resolve.

Spy Scribbler said...

I wish! I've always wanted to. I've tried, going to sleep with the intention of solving it.

It doesn't work. *sigh* I really envy and admire that you can!