Saturday, April 28, 2007

Do you believe?


On October 31st of last year I was having an ordinary day.

The kids were all at school, anxiously watching the clock to go trick-or-treating. I was sitting in the waiting room of a garage anxiously watching the clock while mechanics worked on my van. I'd been sitting there for two hours, which was one hour longer then I expected. I hadn't brought my laptop, a book or a snack. I was bored and hungry. Then I remembered the fortune cookie sitting in my purse left over from a Chinese meal the night before. I eagerly chomped into the cookie and consumed the entire thing before reading my fortune (pictured above).

Then my cell phone rang. It was my agent, Miriam Kriss, telling me that Penguin had offered me a three-book mystery deal.

Cue the Twilight Zone music.

At the time, I was too wrapped up in the details of the deal and absently tucked the message into my purse. When I discovered it again later that day, I put it up on my bulletin board and there it remains.

I ate another fortune cookie last night. It read "Your life will be full of true friendships".

So are you a believer in the ways and wonders of the cookie? Do the predictions of palm readers and psychics come true for you?

4 comments:

Rachel Vincent said...

That's such a cool story! I'd pay attention to those fortunes from now on!

P.S. Miriam's promised (and left herself a note on that indespensible palm pilot) to send you one of her Agent Copies of Stray as soon as it comes in. ;-)

Wendy Roberts said...

Hey, welcome back from RT!

I can't wait to read Stray!

Ann said...

Hey Wendy, I found you! HUGE congrats on your book deal. Well deserved! I can't wait to read it.

Love ya...no, wait. Hate ya! *gg*

Wendy Roberts said...

Ann, you ol' bat you! Great to 'see' you, you're looking great .. er, awful :)